Sunday, March 22, 2009

Valentine's Day Course 3: Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli with a Sage Brown Butter Sauce

For our third course, I decided to make a tasty butternut squash ravioli. This is to be served in a sage brown butter sauce. The recipe is from Emeril Lagasse and can be found on The Food Network's website.

Here is the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/roasted-butternut-squash-ravioli-with-a-sage-brown-butter-sauce-recipe/index.html

As with all of my Valentine's Day planning, I tackled this recipe the day before. I roasted the butternut squash and then made a lovely mix with them that included shallots, the roasted butternut squash and several spices.

While this cooled, I made pasta and rolled it out into thin sheets. I then placed dollops of filling on the sheets and layered another sheet of pasta on top. I pressed down in between the dollops and cut the individual ravioli with my rotating cutter.

I then froze the ravioli. On Valentine's Day, when we were ready for the third course, I boiled a pot of water and worked on the brown butter sage sauce while it boiled. I then boiled the ravioli for about seven minutes (until they were floating) and placed them in the butter sauce.

The ravioli were excellent. I had but one regret. Following the plan, I rolled out the pasta. I can NEVER get pasta as thin as when I break out my old fashioned pasta roller and really work it out. The pasta came out a bit too thick for my liking, but I know that by using the roller, I will definitely have a different result.


MMM...roasted butternut squash! I could eat it just like this!!




Sauteing the shallots!




Making the ravioli!!




Finished dish! Ready to be served!!


This dish was wonderful and made great leftovers for lunch the next day!! I served it with a heavier Chardonnay which was recommended to complement buttery dishes. They went very well together!

Rating:

The Clumsy Gourmet: 8 (would have been 8.5 if I had rolled the pasta thinner!!)
Awesome Sauce: 7.5

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I just made the Caesar dressing recipe we did together, but I used non-fat mayo. This was a mistake. =0)

    Also, I'm gearing up to do a pie for TND!

    - Kate

    ReplyDelete