Sunday, January 25, 2009

Roast Pork with Sage and Potatoes

THIS RECIPE WAS AWESOME!!!!

Okay, so clearly you can tell that this recipe completely rocked! For our New Year's/Holiday party with our weekly dinner group I was providing the meat for our potluck. I made Mark Bittman's Roast Port with Sage and Potatoes (Page 465). Since two others in our group were providing starches, I made this recipe without the potatoes.

This recipe was so easy to make. I doubled the spice recipe for our crowd and used a six and a half pound roast. I also used a roasting pan with the rack in it (the rack is because I didn't use potatoes). I poked about 15 holes in the top and stuffed them with the spice mixture. That was actually a lot of fun. The roasting was easy, but took a bit longer than I thought. This time my trusty meat thermometer behaved and I got a perfect reading when it was time.

This recipe was excellent. It had great flavor and was nice and juicy. I thought this recipe was incredible and so did most of our friends. Junky Monkey thought it was great and wanted to know when we were having it again. Awesome Sauce was less impressed. He thought it lacked flavor though he appreciated how tender the meat was. (Note: Awesome Sauce is not a huge fan of sage, which may have played a part in this). My only complaint is that it came out a bit too salty. In the future I will use a little less salt in the spice mixture.

Below are some pictures.


Here hes the roast resting on the rack.




Here I am cutting into the roast. You can see how the meat is juicy and pink.





Here is a picture of the pork plated and ready to be served.





Here is Awesome Sauce making his contribution: Savory Bacon Puffs!!! He got this recipe from The Silver Spoon, another awesome cookbook. Incidentally, The Silver Spoon was my Christmas gift from Awesome Sauce.



Roast Pork with Sage Rating:

The Clumsy Gourmet: 9.5 I loved this recipe!!!
Awesome Sauce: 7
Junky Monkey: 8 She didn't like eating the spice stuffing and felt like she was eating leaves! She thought the pork itself was great.

2 comments:

  1. At the risk of lowering the level of sophistication of this blog, I would like to note that everybody loved my salty balls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! This recipe was awesome!

    - Kate

    ReplyDelete