Thursday, February 12, 2009

Super Bowl Extravaganza!!! Part 2- Baklava

For our Super Bowl Party I wanted to make a different dessert this year. I decided to have two desserts. For the first one, I let my guests make their own smores. For the second dessert, I decided to take on the challenge of making one of my favorite desserts. I wanted to learn to make baklava!

First, I needed a good recipe. I found one on Allrecipes that looked awesome. It had over 600 great reviews and was given five stars!!! I knew this was the one I had to try. The recipe was submitted by NEONWILLIE. The link is as follows:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baklava/Detail.aspx

When I made this recipe I used walnuts. I also accidentally used a little more cinnamon than I had intended. Unfortunately, I was unable to photograph the making of this recipe. For those of you who haven't worked with it, phyllo dough can be very delicate and you must work quickly with it. In my haste, I did not take any pictures during the process.

Here is a picture of the result:


Yummy Baklava in the pan!!!


This recipe was AMAZING!!!! Everyone at the party loved it! Junky Monkey begged me to make it again very soon. Awesome Sauce also loved the recipe. He took the few left-over pieces to work the next day. The two co-workers he shared the baklava absolutely loved it. One of the co-workers said it was the best baklava he had in the United States! I absolutely blushed with pleasure at the high praise. Oh, and Junky Monkey got her wish...I made another pan (she got an entire half!!) the following week to take to a dinner party.

Rating
The Clumsy Gourmet: 10
Awesome Sauce: 9
Junky Monkey: 10

While I am blogging about our Super Bowl Party, here are some further pictures of the food made by Awesome Sauce and me.



Adding beer to the chili!! Notice the awesome wok in which I am making my chili. Yes, a wok!!! Thanks, Mom!!!




Doritos, Tostitos, Guacamole, Salsa, Hummus and my Mother's Mexican dip!!





Cornbread, Onions, Tomatoes and Sour Cream ready to go with the Chili! Hey where is the cheddar cheese?!




Smores Station with Baklava!




Chips and Dips again, this time with Mexican Corn Dip!!!




Our whole spread: Chili with fixings (the cheddar cheese has arrived!!), Potato Skins and Pepperoni Pizza!!




A closer look at the yummy food!!

Finally, GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment